Sunday, March 29, 2009

Supanova 2009

For this year I only managed to go for the Saturday, but still managed to get in a couple of seminars and trawl through the mountains and mountains of pop culture merch in my short time there. I think the number of cosplayers probably increased by around 100% which was scary (that said I do admire the effort put in and most of them are well done).

Jhonen Vasquez, author of comics such as Squee!, I Feel Sick, and animator of the infamous Invader Zim (pictured left). His general speech was about letting go of his past work and not being a Hot-Topic cliche` fanboy/fangirl, of which there was an unfortunate number of in the crowd. After the warning not to ask stupid questions, most people obeyed and asked atleast not-too-retarded questions and we all got some valuable feedback.

Next stop was to listen to actor Richard Hatch in the show Battlestar Galactica (both versions!) and what the parallels and differences are between each version. He plays Tom Zarek in the 2004 series and Captain Apollo in the 1978 series. I would have stayed for Katee Sackhoff's (actor who plays Kara "Starbuck" Thrace in the 2004 series) talk after but they (the studio? who knows) wanted us to hand in our cameras and mobiles to staff and vacate the building, pushing everyone in the room to the back of the line to which I refused.

Also it turns out Hayden Panettiere looks about as airbrushed and flawless in real life as she does on screen... Well, at least from a distance, I didn't bother getting signings or anything :>

No comments:

Post a Comment